First year of grad school


   In a week, I start my second year of grad school already!  This year flew by, as expected.  I had some ups and downs getting used to the rhythm of completing assignments again, but generally I really love being academically challenged.  I have quite a bit of freedom as far as when and where I want to work and what I want to research, which keeps me passionate and motivated.  Even though I came into grad school with some research experience, there were many days this year when I felt incredibly stupid,  but I've been trying to view that as a good thing - much more to learn!  And I do feel I've learned quite a bit this year... about conducting ethical research, statistics, time management, and work-life balance.  Right now I am in the midst of writing up my first year project for publication, which investigated the factors that contribute to students' judgments of upcoming exam performance.  
    While I miss California terribly, I am really enjoying the seasons here.  Around this time last year, I was afraid of facing my first winter, but now I'm actually looking forward to seeing the beautiful transformation from summer to winter again.  I am really grateful to have the condo and a wonderful roommate, which has made all the difference on tough days.  Hoping that this year is even better than the last! 

Comments

Unknown said…
Wow, what a whirlwind video! We're proud of your accomplishments and how you are so fully engaged in life, friends, family, and career. Glad you survived your first non-California winter! And if we hadn't mentioned it, you're an excellent writer! Love, Mike & Anita

Popular posts from this blog

Switzerland!

Rappeling and Tortuguero weekend trip

Mariposas: A metaphor for human transformation