Spring and Summer 2013

Hi everyone! I am actually sitting with my calendar in front of me to make sure I remember what has happened since I last posted. This summer has been full of transitions.
With my housemates on my birthday
In a lot of ways, I feel like more of an emerging adult than ever before. Many of my friends are making major decisions or facing mini identity crises as they figure out their next steps. I am grateful that I am starting to find my passion and I feel very secure in my decision to pursue a degree in Psychology and to come to Santa Cruz. I love it so much, I have decided to stay for at least another year. I feel like I am starting to build a network here, and it would be foolish not to take advantage. Plus, I moved into a gorgeous new home with wonderful housemates. We have a piano, so I've gotten back into playing. It is much closer to hiking trails and huge redwoods, so I've been running pretty regularly. I've also been continuing with holistic health/massage (hoping to finish up my certification soon) and trying to live more sustainably.
At my psych grad reception

I am still completing my last class to graduate, a seminar in critical pedagogy. I had some gastrointestinal issues that kept me from finishing this summer. I came home for about a month to relax and spend some time with my Mom. I saw many different doctors but I am still in the process of figuring out the root of the issue. I am currently seeing a naturopathic doctor here in Santa Cruz and I have seen vast improvement with my symptoms.

Visitors at the Julian cabin
While I was in San Diego, my Mom, Tony, and I went up to Julian for a night and stayed at a beautiful cabin. We saw turkeys, deer, and tons of songbirds come right up to our window. We also sat under a clear night sky after eating lots of apple pie. It was really nice to get away.

Family
Mom and I also went to Pennsylvania to see family since they were unable to make it out here in June. It was really great to see everyone since it's been quite a while. We had a few big get-togethers and ate lots of delicious food. I was even able to meet up with a good friend of mine who is going to grad school in Pittsburg. 

Music night with my old teachers
Life is pretty great right now. I am still working in the Memory Lab, studying metacognition with regards to creative problem solving and reading strategies. I finished my senior thesis in the Spring, but we are continuing with the project in hopes of publishing (very exciting!) I am also tutoring a couple private clients in the area who need help with writing skills and organization. My love of research and teaching has made me more certain that I would like to pursue academia. I really enjoy making new discoveries and supporting others in their own discoveries. I know I would like to study learning, but I am not sure of the specific focus yet. I am thinking I will apply to graduate school next year, since I still need some time to figure it out. Until then, I'll be enjoying the ride!

This summer I went to a reptile show and picked up this beautiful Mojave ball python. He is super mellow and has been great company for when I get lonely!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Switzerland!

Rappeling and Tortuguero weekend trip

Mariposas: A metaphor for human transformation