Grad School Decision: Made!

2016 started right, with lots of good news from grad schools I had applied to.  I quickly narrowed my choices down to UCLA, UC Santa Cruz, and Kent State University.  I'm so glad I went to the interviews, because I was able to see each campus, speak with current students and faculty, and ask lots of questions.  Ultimately, I decided on Kent State University, as it is the best fit for my research interests.  (If you're like me, and had only heard of Kent from the unfortunate events that took place on May 4th, 1970, then I can now tell you it's in the northeast corner of Ohio, about 40 minutes south of Cleveland.)  At the end of the summer, I will be starting in their doctoral program in experimental psychology, where I will be researching student learning and metacognition with Dr. John Dunlosky as my primary research advisor!  I'm so excited to get started (and a little nervous about the winter weather), but obviously have a lot of planning to do before then (like how I'm going to get all my stuff across the country... I sense a long roadtrip in my future!)
It was 60 degrees in Ohio on the day I had my campus visit, with just enough snow to make the campus look beautiful.  I know it won't always be like this! 
Since Pennsylvania was a quick plane trip from Ohio, my Mom and I met at my grandparent's house, where we celebrated my grandma's 85th birthday.  We got a little ridiculous and dressed everyone up in Hawaiian shirts (meanwhile, it was freezing outside) and enjoyed coconut shrimp and fresh Maine lobsters (my grandma's favorite!)
My other campus visits went really well, too.  I saw some old friends and made some new ones.  It was especially fun to convince other prospective students to attend UCSC (not that they needed convincing - the campus speaks for itself!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Switzerland!

Rappeling and Tortuguero weekend trip

Mariposas: A metaphor for human transformation