Settling in Stow

Packed up my life in my little Honda Fit - it sure does fit a lot! ;)
It's been a busy couple of weeks moving and settling in to my new home!  My cross-country road trip went pretty smoothly once I got through California traffic and some heavy rain in Utah/Colorado.  My only company was my reptile friend Mojave, who, much to his dismay, stayed in a small container in the passenger seat for the week on the road.  Despite some days where I felt like the road would never end, for the most part I really enjoyed the quiet time and the passing landscapes.  I broke up the drive by stopping for APA (a psych conference) in Denver, where I presented a poster in a special session on "Applying Cognitive Psych to Education".

Some colleagues I met up with in Denver.
Visited my friend Trisha in
Urbana, Illinois on the way to Ohio.

Since arriving in Stow, I've been unpacking and making plenty of trips to Target and Lowe's (thankfully only 7 mins away) to get everything else I need.  I've really enjoyed decorating each room - right now I have a modern tree theme going in my bedroom (the fireplace certainly helps add to the aesthetic) and a beach theme in my bathroom.  I'm really loving having my own space and my roommate has been great so far (she's also in my grad program so we've been carpooling).  The condo is in a really quiet, walkable community, we love our sweet neighbors, and we're about 15 minutes from downtown Kent/KSU campus.  Here are some pictures of the exterior/downstairs: 

My own garage with access to the unit!  Will be nice in the winter, for sure.
Small backyard area maintained by the condo association.
View of the backyard from upstairs. 
Living room furniture courtesy of a former grad student.

Front entryway.
Kitchen/laundry room.
 
Mojave's home... the cupboard under the stairs.
Ocean bathroom for when I'm really missing California!


Plenty of closet space. 
Workspace.
Tree theme for my bedroom.
Night time ambience from my Ohuhu "wave" light.
Wood burning fireplace for the cold winter nights.
The weather has been a bit of an adjustment (where's my ocean breeze?!), and it has been a bit more difficult to get back on a regular sleep schedule after a couple years of working in the afternoon, but otherwise I am adjusting well.  My advisor and I are excited to get started on research, so we're getting going before classes and teaching are added to my schedule in another week.  Between him and his wife (another researcher), there are 5 of us grad students (all girls - yea!) and we've all been getting along really well and supporting each other through the transition.  Together, we make up RADlab (for our advisors, Rawson & Dunlosky).  Most of us went on a trip to Cedar Point this week, and had a blast riding roller coasters all day long and bonding.  Happy to enjoy the last few moments of summer before things really get crazy!      

RADlab does Cedar Point!  Nola (far right) is my roommate from New Hampshire.
Ready to start grad school!  With my advisor, John, in front of the student center at Kent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Switzerland!

Rappeling and Tortuguero weekend trip

Mariposas: A metaphor for human transformation