Reflection

Country, city, mountains, sky

I've been home for a couple days now. It's been interesting, trying to re-adjust to the American lifestyle. I've been feeling some of the symptoms of reverse culture shock: restlessness, confusion, sadness, and even reverse homesickness. Although I'm excited to be back, there's so much to miss.

I miss having my laundry done by my host mothers and waking up to fresh fruit and bread each morning. I miss being able to hear the beautiful mumurs of Spanish everywhere I go. I miss having to think before I speak and making silly mistakes. I miss the beautiful countryside and the smell of the rainforest. I miss the exotic wildlife only inches away from my camera lens. I miss swimming in the warm, Carribbean ocean. I miss looking down the long, empty beach, knowing that turtle eggs lie beneath the sand. I miss hopelessly trying to keep up with the locals with salsa and meringue music. I miss walking to school and running into trees covered in caterpillars. I miss finding spiders and cockroaches all over the house. I miss kisses on the cheek when meeting new people. I miss the struggle of converting currency. I miss the sounds of the birds every morning. I miss our jokes in class. I miss flowers so vibrant they don't look real. I miss the neighborhood house parties. I miss the coffee, rice, and beans. I miss butterflies landing in my hair. I miss the crazy drivers. I miss the genuinely nice people. I miss learning something new every day. I miss everything feeling so new and different. I miss the spontaneity. And so much more.

I miss you, Costa Rica!

In the middle of the rainforest

Overall, I had an absolutely wonderful trip. I learned so much about the culture, the language, the country, and myself. Although the trip is over, my memories live on. I brought a little bit of Costa Rica back with me, in my soul.

I learned that traveling and studying abroad (if you do it right, without a laptop by your side every second!) is really difficult. In the beginning, I had times where I felt very alone and scared to be in a strange place among strangers. But with time and effort, I found that I could build a home among these people I barely knew, because in the end we are all human beings. Amazingly, despite our differences in experiences, we are more similar than different, with the same fears and desires. I learned the importance of letting go of my fears and appreciating every moment. And I learned that certain values hold true in any language: love, respect, and Pura Vida!

Right before the scariest, most thrilling moment of my life

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Switzerland!

Rappeling and Tortuguero weekend trip

Mariposas: A metaphor for human transformation