Life as a College Grad

So, it's official! I am a college graduate! I finished my degree (Psychology B.A. with a minor in education) back in December. Graduation was delayed slightly due to some health issues (more on that later), but I was able to get back on track and still graduate with highest honors from UC Santa Cruz. I am so grateful to have completed the beginning of my higher education at two incredible colleges, not to mention all the amazing friends and mentors I met along the way. Of course, I am disappointed that it's over, but looking forward to the next chapter. My plans are constantly changing, so I think it's best to focus on the past and present for the sake of this blog. Although I will say this - travel is definitely in my future!

Squash pancake (flax seed, almond flour,
winter squash) with homemade
ghee and yogurt.
Celebrating the end of a quarter with some lab colleagues. 
My plan to stay in Santa Cruz for a while longer had to be cut short as I have been struggling with some chronic gastrointestinal issues and decided it would be much easier to try to resolve them at home in San Diego. Many of you have had various suggestions that may help, and I have looked into most of them - thank you. It is still a mystery, but my Mom has been extremely supportive as we investigate together. I have seen multiple doctors and tried various diets and medications, some with more luck than others. I have been feeling a little better since I returned home a couple weeks ago. Fortunately, I have always had an interest in holistic health and nutrition (although it is frustrating as a field since there is so much variability!) so it has actually been fun trying various recipes, "super-foods", grain and sugar alternatives, etc. I am more convinced than ever that there is no one set diet that works for everyone, as I have talked to many people about their food journeys and they are all quite different! 
Fun night out with a few girlfriends
Despite bouts of unpredictable illness, I have still been able to have some adventures. As I mentioned in my last post, I lived in an incredible house in Santa Cruz with some wonderful housemates. From there, I was able to easily access campus and some nearby tutoring, babysitting, and cleaning jobs. Now that I am back in San Diego, I hope to continue tutoring and start teaching piano again (and maybe even get back into figure skating if my body allows it.)

Back in February, my Mom and I made it to Maui for a spontaneous vacation. I had never been before. I new it would be amazing, but it still blew all my expectations out of the water! We scored a beautiful condo in Kihei, and from there we explored almost the whole perimeter of the island (including the infamous Road to Hana) in the time we were there. We also drove to the top of the Haleakala volcano to see the sunrise and the fantastic views and snorkeled with sea turtles and Moorish Idols, my favorite fish, almost every day! The best part, for me, were the humpback whales. They were everywhere! During the winter months, they come into the warm tropical waters to mate, birth, and raise their calves. We went on a whale-watch trip and saw some pretty incredible sights. Interesting thing about Maui was how good my body felt - even my skin was softer. I think it's a clear sign that I need to spend more time in the tropics ;)
Bamboo forest in Haleakala National Park
My favorite beach - black sand! Waianapanapa State Park
Luscious green 'Iao Valley
Sunrise on the Haleakala summit.
Embracing the day...
Beautiful breach shot that a lady on our tour captured.
She didn't even know how to use her camera
very well - what a happy accident!
This was right off the side of our boat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Switzerland!

Rappeling and Tortuguero weekend trip

Mariposas: A metaphor for human transformation